ENERGY STAR is a voluntary program started by the EPA and managed by the U.S. Department of Energy. The goal of ENERGY STAR is to help businesses and homeowners save money and protect the environment by investing in windows that have excellent energy efficiency.
ENERGY STAR provides science-based, credible, unbiased information so that window companies and consumers can spend in the most efficient windows on the market without sacrificing quality. Companies from manufacturers to window contractors, like Window World Twin Cities, depend on ENERGY STAR to provide solutions for keeping their homes insulated from the outside elements.
ENERGY STAR Qualifications
For a window product to earn the ENERGY STAR seal, it must meet three primary qualifications.
1. The product is manufactured by an ENERGY STAR partner company
2. The produce is independently tested, certified, and verified by the National Fenestration Rating Council (NFRC)
3. Have NFRC ratings that meet strict energy efficiency guidelines set by the EPA
ENERGY STAR Performance Criteria
Windows protect you from the outside elements. Therefore, you should select the windows that make the most sense for your climate. Performance criteria for windows and skylights are based on ratings certified by the National Fenestration Rating Council (NFRC) and vary for each of the climate zones. ENERGY STAR windows are known for these common product features:
Quality Frame Materials. Durable, low-maintenance framing material that reduces heat transfer (R-Value) and insulates well.
Multiple Panes. Two panes of glass with air or gas-filled space in the middle. Some windows feature three or more panes.
Low-E Glass. The special coating reflects infrared light. This retains heat in the winter and reflects the heat during the summer. Low E-Glass also reflects dangerous UV rays.
Gas Fills. The space between the panes is filled with non-toxic gases that insulates the home better than standard air.
Warm Edge Spacers. Spacers keep the glass edges a correct distance apart. They also insulate the side of the panes.
ENERGY STAR certified windows come in a variety of framing materials.
● Fiberglass frames are sturdy, durable, low maintenance, and provide excellent insulation. Fiberglass frames can be either hollow or filled with foam insulation.
● Vinyl frames are low maintenance and provide excellent thermal insulation. Sections may be hollow or filled with foam insulation. Wide vinyl sills may be reinforced with metal or wood.
● Aluminum frames are durable, low maintenance, recyclable, and typically have at least 15% recycled content. Frame design usually includes thermal breaks to reduce conductive heat loss through the metal.
● Wood frames are durable, provide good insulation, and are favored in historic neighborhoods. The exterior surfaces of many wood windows are clad (or covered) with aluminum or vinyl to reduce maintenance.
● Composite frames are made of various materials that have been blended through manufacturing processes to create durable, low-maintenance, and well-insulated windows.
Window World Twin Cities Offers ENERGY STAR Windows
Windows World Twin Cities offers high-quality, durable ENERGY STAR windows for residential properties in Minneapolis and St. Paul, Minnesota. We provide a wide range of services including window installation, window repair, and complete window system replacement. You can count on us for work of the highest caliber and affordable rates that stay within your budget.
To schedule an initial consultation, call us at 651-770-5570, or you can message us on our contact page. We’re your window experts!
Contact Us for More Information